LifeOS Academy Forums General Mindset and Psychology A little of my “progress”

A little of my “progress”

• Creator
    Topic
    John
    Participant

After I finished the UYC course and practiced a little of what it offered I started to notice something strange that I had never noticed and that almost always happens to me as if it were a pattern that my brain articulated.

I started to realize that most of the actions that I do, that I stop doing, the conversations that I have, the people I interact with and so on … are based on preconceptions of my past experiences or my scripts.

One of the most common examples of this is when it comes to women, sometimes I have the prejudice that the most beautiful women do not find me attractive or interesting, I know it may sound like a limiting belief, but I also discovered this prejudice, even when I talked to women who were used to talking to me and me with them.

I confess that this has scared me a lot lately, because I am almost always making judgments and precipitating ideas without even dealing with the real fact of the situation and I believe that identifying this has almost always helped me to stop trusting assumptions and go after the real issue of situation.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Leigh
    Keymaster

This is a powerful realisation.

Do you think those beliefs are factually correct? Or are you aware they’re incorrect?

John
    Participant

It is as if I unconsciously judged a situation or person based on almost similar experiences (I’m starting to be more aware of that). What scares me the most is that I almost always do it without my own permission, I don’t know if it has to do with the result or mechanism but I am relieved to be changing my way a little bit every time these episodes happen. The good part of this is also that I take more responsibility for my actions and go after what I want.

Leigh
    Keymaster

Awesome, mate.

I’ve got a big article I want to write on this, but the essence of it is this: The only problem with your beliefs is that you think they’re true.

Your beliefs are the result of you projecting something that’s happened in the past into the future and assuming that it will happen again.

And while the past is the best tool to predict the future, the situation you’re projecting into is very different to what happened in the past. It involves different people doing different things and you were a different person.

What all this means is that when you have these thoughts, you don’t need to make them go away. You can simply allow them to be there, but just acknowledge that they’re not true and keep moving forward with your life.

Does that make sense?

John
    Participant

Yes, it makes a lot of sense. This leads me to believe that now I must constantly challenge myself to prove the opposite of these beliefs, I feel that this is the answer.

Leigh
    Keymaster

Yes, and no. You only need to challenge them to prove them wrong if you plan on listening to them. The easier way is to just accept that they’re false and just focus back on doing what you need to do to create the life you want.

John
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>got it</p>

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Latest Course Reviews

Forum Recent Topics

Disclaimer

Although you might find the concepts, ideas, and theories on this website useful, this website and its contents do not take your personal circumstances into account and are therefore, should not be taken as personal financial, political, mechanical, hypocritical, aeronautical, physical, mental, or hypothetical advice. Treating your specific situation and condtions requires an intimate knowledge of your personal challenges, history, and desires and can only be done by a trained professional. If you require specific advice regarding your personal challenges, always consult a registered practitioner.

© LifeOS 2006-2019